Changenow
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

We need a concrete idea. Dismantle Electoral College

5 posters

Go down

We need a concrete idea.  Dismantle Electoral College Empty We need a concrete idea. Dismantle Electoral College

Post  AncientWorld Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:28 am

Dismantle Electoral College

This is a repost from reddit, but I'll elaborate later when I have the energy.

I think this stance will be widely accepted by the people of America because they gain from it immediately and it is simple enough to understand. This stance will also lead to future prospects of bigger problems with better and united decisions.

We need to empower the people of america, by that I mean to make the country more democratic. First step I have to recommend : Dismantle the Electoral College. This is where a majority of the protesting will be involved. We have to establish the popular vote.
Second step: set up an online voting system that will be available in local libraries and at home. Unfortunately, this may lead to more regimented online identification of citizens, which scares me in some weird way, but if it was only used as an online voting number of some sort and nothing else, it would work. We would need serious security programs to prevent distortion of votes (lulzsec maybe help everybody out with that) then from that point we can develop Voting.
From the Online presidential election, it turns to elections for congress, state representative and so on. This will allow more people to run potentially, It's cheap to make a website. And many many more voters. And from that we can eventually move to bills, if everyone could vote on specific bills that would change the face of politics altogether.

We all know the electoral college is pointless if the entire country can communicate directly at any instant. (the only real reason it ever existed was because of the boundaries of communication during the writing of the constitution)

AncientWorld

Back to top Go down

We need a concrete idea.  Dismantle Electoral College Empty Re: We need a concrete idea. Dismantle Electoral College

Post  Derekscrazy Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:12 pm

Although I generally agree with election reform, there are certain aspects of the voting system that I really, really like. For example- only a third of the senate is up for election every two years. THIS IS A GOOD THING. It allows for people to want something consistently. It doesn't allow us to simply get passionate about something, and then run over other's rights. James Madison explains this perfectly here

Last edited by Derekscrazy on Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:17 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : grammer)

Derekscrazy

Back to top Go down

We need a concrete idea.  Dismantle Electoral College Empty Thats not what I mean

Post  AncientWorld Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:05 pm

the system would stay the same but would be available in households rather than at polls. This would increase the voter count exponentially with the growth of technology. Electoral College is only used for presidential elections anyway. They are purely a middleman that allows more corruption than good.

AncientWorld

Back to top Go down

We need a concrete idea.  Dismantle Electoral College Empty Re: We need a concrete idea. Dismantle Electoral College

Post  AncientWorld Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:08 pm

And in response to the Federalist papers. With a full voter return from the population of america no group smaller than the majority of people would be able to succeed

AncientWorld

Back to top Go down

Post  Wildcat Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:37 pm

I agree completely. This Idea is an excellent one and should have been done long ago. However it is the 21st century and the technology far exceeds the ability to hold a popular election, so it should be done now!

This is a simple concept, yet it represents how inflexible and lazy our government has been.

Wildcat

Back to top Go down

Post  masterofunt Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:55 pm

Here's a simple bit of advice: do not associate yourself with Lulzsec or similar organizations. It doesn't matter how many of us agree with what they are doing, many will still disagree with their particular methods (ie releasing everyone's private information and passwords all over the place). Also, they are not exactly getting great publicity... If they choose to support us, they may do so, but I wouldn't necessarily expect it from them. Thinking the other way around is kind of dangerous to our credibility, however. People still watch the news. Try not to get too much bad publicity for the time being, at least until we have some substantial support.

masterofunt

Back to top Go down

Post  AncientWorld Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:09 pm

It doesn't matter who does the protecting, but security of the votes is a extremely important thing, there can be no holes.

AncientWorld

Back to top Go down

Post  Josh92 Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:32 am

Is our solution for dismantling the electoral college just using the popular vote to decide presidential elections? I feel like we'd need to give very strong arguments against the electoral college (I guess that can't be too hard) in order to convince the american people enough where there isn't a doubt in their mind its bad for this country. That said, most of the people I talk to nowadays don't get the electoral college anyway and think its a stupid system to begin with. But we need a very clear, WHY.

Josh92

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum